Fairey Dagger

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

JPRC
Gunner

Fairey Dagger

Post by JPRC »

http://www.boatshed.com/fairey_dagger_h ... 61550.html

I've been looking at this on and off for a while now. Looks like it could be turned into a very interesting boat.

Be keen to hear if anyone knows about these boats and if any have been converted to something like a Spearfish?

tempting.......

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

I see what you mean, a sort of giant spearfish or aft cockpit 31.

Like Tarquol or Speedwell, wood deck and cabin, white topsides, blue superstructure, tekdek, mahoosive pair of engines, could be lovely,

Doubtless would be hugely sea worthy and a soft dry ride.

Go for it, has it been on the market long? Go in with a very low offer, you can always go up, but not down!

JPRC
Gunner

Post by JPRC »

It's been on the market a while and seemingly neither the broker nor vendor want to sell it.

Big project but could me made into a very serious boat as you say.

I've spent the summer playing around in my Huntress (Falcon) which is painless to use and has not caused me any grief (to date).

It might be madness to walk away from a good boat to rebuild a wreck but I like the idea of creating something bespoke but with strong Fairey heritage.

Scott Pett
Rear Admiral

Post by Scott Pett »

JPRC,

The Dagger hull is the basis for the Swordsman 37. The aft cockpit version of which is as close as its come to a Spearfish.

The Swordsman 37 (and 40) has a low line to the superstructure, mainly because there is proportionally more free-board than earlier hulls. I'm not sure how good it would look with an old style taller cabin.

The new Swordsmen take some pretty large engines (Cummins QSB380)- probably about 700HP in total - and have been beefed up accordingly (8.5 tonnes plus), so I would say that a pair of Sabre 180's would struggle to do anything interesting. From an engine point of view; work out the weight; select your top speed and that will define the power required. If you keep the top speed to the low 30 knots, the power requirements won't be too horrendous. There are those who can do that calculation in their heads.

I have a drawing on for the "Woodentop" Spearfish's deck and superstructure construction. It can't be beyond the wit of man to glue a version of that to the Dagger Hull general arrangement (which AVB may be able to supply) which looks right. Bear in mind that a wood-epoxy superstructure will be a lot lighter than its GRP equivalent.

Cheers,
Scott

JPRC
Gunner

Post by JPRC »

Spoken to AVB who is enthusiastic.

Will keep you in the loop.