Spearfish rudders

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

Malcolm Thorpe
Gunner

Spearfish rudders

Post by Malcolm Thorpe »

I completed this summer refurnishing our Spearfish [Ford 250 hp engines].

On lifting the boat yesterday, the front of both rudders looked as though they had been shot blasted - all anti-fouling from the leading edge to about 30% back had been totally and 'clinically' removed - the remainder looking first class.

It does not appear to have affected the rudders themselves - as yet.

Has anyone experienced this problem, can explain how it is caused and has a remedy please?

My only other question: how do you stop Fords smoking on start-up?

Seasons greetings .....

JohnSK
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by JohnSK »

Don't know about the rudders but I can help with the smoke.
My old Ranger had Ford Dorsets and the start up smoke was the usual embarassment.
I assume your engines are sound and injectors are clean etc
Mike Bellamy at Lancing Marine rebuilds the injector pumps to seperate the front and rear cyliders with a solenoid.
The boat starts on three cylinders only ie under load, and stays this way when in neutral.
When drive is engaged the whole engine comes under load and fires on six.
It works well and it is worth giving Lancing a call.

Malcolm Thorpe
Gunner

Post by Malcolm Thorpe »

John

Many thanks for this advice - of which I had not heard before.

All I need to do now is sort the rudder problem - which has been referred to as 'propeller burn' by another source.

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Malcolm

The 3 pot Lancing Marine fix has been around a while, I have no first hand experience but I have heard good things. My Perkins smoke terribly on cold mornings. I turn on the ignitions, put the levers into gear, untie, crank them up and drive off in one not so elegant manouvre! It seems to help.

Reference your rudders, mine are just the same, the antiful gets washed away and there is some minor signs of pitting. Given that they have done 40 years and the pitting is very minor I'm just going to keep antifouling and ignore it.

Ben