Playtime refit.

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

Ben
Admiral
Playtime refit.

Post by Ben »

You may have noticed last year Playtime becoming a little scruffy. Its 8 years since I launched her last time.

I've got a refit planned over the next few months and again over next winter.

Can you see her?

More to follow.

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Like the building Ben, remind me where it came from.

Ian

david timothy mark rhodes
Midshipman
Post by david timothy mark rhodes »

Hi All

That looks like a great building Ben, years ago Ivan and I begged/stole/borrowed a polytunnel for dear old Gay Huntsman nowhere near as good a job but back then the sort you have wasn't available. As Ian says many members might well find the contact details for the suppliers.

Knowing your skill Ben and seeing you in action on the COPOC film, I am sure Playtime will look great

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

The tent came from www.ebay.co.uk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/14x28x12ft-Portab ... 20b31fd2df

A firm in Southampton has them, very reasonable price, offer to pay cash and collect....

Its made by http://www.shelterlogic.com/Default.aspx

Ben

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Hi Ben.

Looks like I now own a boat tent as well, how big a lorry will I need!
What are the longest lengths of metalwork?
Thankyou for the link
Regards.

Ian

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Excellent!

Its five boxes on a pallet, Paul Hooper was kind enough to help me collect it in a Mercedes Vito van (I think its a Vito).

Each box is just about manhandleable by two strong chaps.

Longest box is about 5 foot.

I'll take some better pictures for you as the instructions are not great and I even read them!

Ben

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Ian

I've been down to the boat in the rain and can report its all nice and dry inside! Yay!

Ben

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Thanks Ben, amazing what you can get in a Citroen C3 Picasso.....

Safely in my garage now, see what you mean about instructions, reckon it could be a days work to assemble, how long did it take you?

Ian

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Ian

It took me and a mate about 5 hours to put up the frame, but that includes struggling a bit with rubbish instructions. I'll do you some pertinent photos on the weekend. You'll need 2 of you.

You will find that where all the bolt holes are punched into the tubes that there is some burrs and swarf that need knocking off, you'll need a hammer and a block of wood and a good file to help things along.

Fitting the cover could be a couple more hours, but you'll need a calm day!

Take note of the warning about making sure the webbing straps in the covers do not get pulled inside there pockets.....ask me how I know about that.....

BR

Ben

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Thanks Ben.

We are having a spray hood and cockpit awning made soon, how much room over your boat do you have? It looks higher up in the air than the Huntress on the trailer plus of course I would expect a Huntsman to be a bit taller than a Huntress, 20 million doller question is do I put up tent before or after the cover man arrives. Do you have a sprayhood, if it is still on the boat will it go up inside the tent?

Any advice greatly received.

ATB

Ian

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

A few pictures of the tent, some details shots of the bits that are not clear in the instructions, how much room there is. Playtime is higher than I wanted but will be fine. Few shots of progress too.

The tent came with 10 ground anchors, I could not get them to screw into the gravel of the boat yard, I used rope but as of last thing this afternoon I have 8 cheap ratchet straps from ebay holding the tent down in case we get a gale, 3 down each side towards the back and 2 from the foredeck up.

Nice and warm and great shelter from the wind, the tent is going to be well worth the expense.

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Hi Ben.

Thanks that is really helpful, very impressed how light it is in the tent, I would judge my huntress to be about 15" nearer the ground so we will have a lot more headroom, if needs be I will take the trailer wheels off and get her even lower.

You have been busy, but I know from experience if you are in that type of environment a lot can be achieved in the early stages without being weather dependant.

Thanks for the framework detail shots, I am getting a working party organised hopefully for next weekend so all being well I can soon be under cover. All my superstructure is epoxy sheathed (6 years ago) and is really standing up to 5 years outdoors really well. So we will not be doing anything quite so drastic.

Speak soon. I am hoping to come to the talk about Hamble the week after next.

Ian

david timothy mark rhodes
Midshipman
Post by david timothy mark rhodes »

Hi Ben

Those pics take me back a bit, hours of endless fun with a hot air gun but worth it, cover/tent looks very well made, heard Ian had bought one of the last, hope they get more if others want one

The talk on at Hamble on the 10th sounds great, will try and get there

Mark

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Force 7 gusting 9 overnight according to the Bramble Post....

I went down to the boat on my way into the office this morning to check the tent was ok.

All seems to be secure and fine. That's the first big blow since I built the tent so I'm reassured that the whole kit and caboodle isn't going to end up in Warsash!

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Was planning to put up my tent this weekend, somehow I think the weather has put paid to that, may try and assemble the framework if it does turn out to be dry.

Fingers and toes all crossed.

Glad the first storm has not caused any problems.

Regards

Ian