Midnight Blue - the first winter

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

Midnight Blue
Commodore

Midnight Blue - the first winter

Post by Midnight Blue »

During the winter of 2009/2010 it was time to reinstate the teak decks. People still look at me blankly when I say I had the work done on the Isle of Wight…but I did! First problem was a dispute as to whether the quote included for swept planking rather than straight planks! That is a key issue to get right.

Once that was solved it was a case of dismantling, rectifying the rotten structure, and paying the bills. Robbins Timber supplied the teak and were pretty good. I laid ply on new timber structure; epoxy sheathed from the cavita line, across the deck, and up the coach roof, before the teak went down fixed with epoxy. A long and educational process.
I paid special attention to details such as fuel /water inlets etc, junctions, access panels in the cockpit and engine covers. Seeing the new teak going down gave me immense pleasure.

Tips…never underestimate the extent of rot and never underestimate other parts of the boat that are affected in the process. It involves replacing the teak rubbing strakes, repainting the hull and coachroof, apart from the disruption involved in replacing the cockpit floors.

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Excellent stuff, particularly like the teakwork. Am I correct in thinking that our esteemed Commodore used to own her going back quite a few years?

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

I dream of having engine hatches like that. I've been trying to get new hatches done for 8 years, I'm now more determined than ever.

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Absolutely. I am planning a new floor in the cockpit on my Huntress next winter,hopefully it will be in teak.

Please keep the updates coming.

Midnight Blue
Commodore

Post by Midnight Blue »

Yes, Mr Rolliston was indeed the owner and from conversations with him I believe changed the name from "Nina" to "Midnight Blue"...
Perhaps Julian or any other owners can help me with the ownership list.Todate I think this is the rollcall:
February 1967-Mr MJ Hughes.Called "Super Huntsman" & based at St Osyth.
September 1981-Mr K Moore.Renamed "Nina" & kept at Troon.
Maybe 1989-1992-Julian Rolliston. Renamed "Midnight Blue".
January 1992-Mr D Turner & kept at Langstone Marina, Southsea.
March 2004-Martin Preston-Davies until February 2008 & kept on the River Hamble.