Midnight Blue - External Progress

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

Midnight Blue
Commodore

Midnight Blue - External Progress

Post by Midnight Blue »

<b>15 November 2010</b>

There is good news on the external hull work. Having removed and replaced over 300 fixings, the moisture levels have fallen below 12% and the laminate work is almost complete. Two further fractures in the aft of the vessel (outboard of the aft outboard stringer both sides) have been identified, they are small but this is the time to fix them because once the fuel tanks go back in they are inaccessible. The veneer inlays are worthy of a cabinet maker. With modern epoxy technology, the hull is stronger now than in 1967.

Custom Yachts will complete the chine rails, and the spray rails by Christmas. The new timber floor structure is bonded and mechanically fixed inside so the new keel bolts can be fitted.

Bill Dunlop has paid a visit and has suggested that because the new spray rails are wider we can run them back further along the boat. Charles Lawrence has noted in his book that spray rails are something of a black art-I leave it to the experts. Glad I did not have the repairs scarfed in, they look very sound.

Also the cavitation plate has been replaced as there was a bit of softness at the base of the transom. On the understanding that Midnight Blue has handed rotation engines, Bill Dunlop confirms the cavitation plates can be a continuation of the hull bottom. They may need very slight positive angle to hold the bow down, but this should not be done until the vessel has run trials. As the boat has the standard type of stainless steel strut to the trailing edge all you do is fit a distance packer between the palm plate and the timber anti cavitation board.

I wander down to Lymington over Christmas and see a great cradle-make note to self that a personalised H28 cradle is a good project to think about.

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Indeed a custom cradle would be nice.

Much like Playtime, your boat is at risk of falling into the category "a large selection of graving pieces glued together" as someone remarked to me last weekend...I'm going to rename our boats Epoxy Express 1 and Epoxy Express 2.

Looking forward to your launch day.