Doing the Charleston!

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Doing the Charleston!

Post by PeterCharleston »

IMG_20200828_1225386.jpg
IMG_20200828_1225386.jpg
IMG_20200828_1225386.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

IMG_20200828_1225494.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ben
Admiral

Post by Ben »

She is looking amazing!

Well done.

Any idea of when you might launch? Next spring?

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Agreed, she looks fantastic. You are making great progress.

tjsb
Lieutenant

Post by tjsb »

Peter,

Return PM sent, by seems stuck in the outbox. If you PM me your email address, I can send you the pictures.

Toby

Scott Pett
Rear Admiral

Post by Scott Pett »

Private Messages are a bit wierd in that they stay in the Outbox until read by the recipient - unlike most email systems which appear more logical.

Once read, the PM will move the sent folder.

Cheer,
Scott
Regards,
Scott
Huntsman 31 No. 5 "Mirak"

PerHansson
Commander

Post by PerHansson »

I had the same issue some 5 years ago when repaying the decks on Tireur. The quadrant used was very small and neat compared with many I have seen on Superswordsmans and others with screws. My shipwright bonded the wood with a Sikaflex sealant and very thin nails to secure it in place when the sealer dried. The nail holes become invisible when you remove them and the teak takes up the moisture. (The alternative mechanical fixing would have been screws whilst drying, these could later be 'plugged').

To keep the teak clean and preserved and natural, I swear by Boracol. I use it on everything, teak, wood, cedar, anything wood really, twice a year will do. :) (It works on most other materials too, cleaning and preserving!)

If you google 'acslimited.co.uk', you will find their product.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Thanks Per, ill give that a look.
Hopefully start the final preps and then the top coats this week
3 x Wests, 4 x primer, 4 x undercoat thus far.
Every time i open the shed door, sends a tingle, absolutely amazing.
In theory painting will stop end of next week then Engines, tanks, shafts , some sound proofing (must make contact), some serious fund checking, then a firm gearbox decision (still keen on contra rotating)
I haven't spent anymore time on windscreen construction , but its on the list, bilge pumps, wiring.............
we have now saved the teak deck, routed out all the rotten ply, cut inserts doubled up and all bonded, back breaking upside down work, not mine thank-you Laura, its a bit thin in places , but some very clever and impressive "Laura repairs" and we are ok for a few more years .
Martin popped in and made a start on re-assembling the steering, awesome gear boxes, definitely chunky Land Rover or something commercial, they were well and truly crusty, but almost 2 years soaking in diesel and other magic fluids, a bit of re-tapping , a blitz in the component cleaner (and dishwasher, ssshhh, dont tell Sally) and hey presto back in service.
my original plan was in the water by Christmas as a shell, (or 500hp Canoe) its looking a bit unlikely at the moment but will press on, this wooden thing has got me by the throat and i don't want to rush anything ( i am so out of my skills-set and comfort zone, there are regular pauses)
Shes now back on her cradle and i'm on the hunt for some lifting kit, but to be honest, toying with finding a proper wooden boat, marine engine fitter, its a shame we are so far from Poole, already getting some haulage figures but nothing firm or planned.
Cinders "Penny Too" needs some love and just so i don't get bored found a 4ft Swordsman with a 17cc strimmer type pull cord engine . must go , the therapist has arrived.
PB

Phil62
Bosun

Post by Phil62 »

Looking fantastic Pete,
Well done.

Phil.

Firefly
Lieutenant

Post by Firefly »

Phil
What happened to the second Swordsman you bought.
Regards David

Phil62
Bosun

Post by Phil62 »

She's looking resplendent and untouched in exactly the same place I had her dropped off 12 months ago :D .

I bought her blind and it's a risk you take, but she's in fairly poor condition.
I had originally planned to make a start straight away, however her condition and a few things happening externally, including 2 house renovations, COVID and helping a friend with a Triana Tropica all conspired to put me off making a start.

I work out of the country quite a bit and when I'm home I like to get out on my good boat whenever possible.

I'm still up for the task, but having already done one that was in much better condition I need to be mentally ready to make a start before I do, that said, - If anyone fancies a project!

P

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

"Cantie" would be a lovely boat Phil, are there many Swordsmans with only the forward Cabin, excellent social space, superb sunshine boat, if we can get a move on with Charleston, there will be a nice big space in our shed next Easter/early summer !!!
We are a way off finishing the teak deck on Charleston, its come back together very nicely, the repair patches stand out a bit, but hopefully will weather in ok.
So tell me whats with the "Fairey" mix of varnishing some bits of the deck and teak oiling the remaining bits of deck, surely its easier and more efficient to treat and oil the whole deck timber ?

Syphon
Leading Seaman

Post by Syphon »

Are you looking for lifting gear still Peter?

PerHansson
Commander

Post by PerHansson »

As to what to varnish/treat on the deck, I have never used oil so can't comment. I have though used 'Boracol' for the main part of the deck and Epiphanes on the kick/toe/king areas as per photo. I think if you do a search, you will find related information on both the varnish and Boracol (a preservative and algae treatment that does not change the colour of the teak, apply twice yearly by roller/brush, very quick and job done!) :)

...one day I will get the hang of posting a pic...to be continued.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TqZg7x4aXteHsJsGA

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Cheers Per
I'll pick up some Boracol and have a play. i have some Owatrol Deks Olje D1, which brings up some spare teak superbly, also some great reviews, anybody have any feedback ? tried it ?