Omega 828 "Aruna"

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Great news, a few more HP and a bit lighter too. I guess you'll need a different gearbox with deeper reduction as its a higher revving engine. I guess with the flared bow the Omega is a dry ride.

(as an aside, I never understood where the 595-ET engines fit into the timeline, Dorset 2701 through to 2715, then Dover 2720 for Dover, external coupling to injection pump is 6D, Dorset the pump drive is internal with a pressed steel timing cover, Dover has an oil feed to the injection pump and a cast aluminium timing cover, I've just bought a Fairey with a Ford so I've become a ford nerd!)

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Thanks Ben. Yes, relevant enquiries about suitable gearbox / propeller combinations are of my list of things to be ticked off in the near future!

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

If anything err on the side of being a little under prop'ed. A lightly loaded diesel is a happy diesel, end of season dirty bottom and dirty props and a summer of junk on board (dinghies, bicycles, pumps, inflatable toys,wine, beer, buckets, wetsuits, fishing gear, hair dryers, cuddly toys etc) will soon have them fully loaded late season.

You don't want them struggling to reach max revs.

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

I am in need of two replacement gearboxes for Aruna to suit the Yamaha 245hp engines (max rev. 3880 to 3980 rather than the old ford mermaid approx 2800).

I need approx 1.6:1 ratio.

Does anyone have anything suitable available or have ideas on the best people to speak to? Second hand would be greatly preferred over new due to costs.

I do have 2 x Borg Warner 72c 1:1 to sell/exchange in return.

nicky
Captain

Post by nicky »

Hi Edward
I would like a spare 72 c. Could I buy one of you
Regards David

HoneyRush
Carpenter

Post by HoneyRush »

Hello Edward,
I would be interested in one of your gearboxes aswell. I am in Dartmouth, so not too far away.
Regards
Rob

nicky
Captain

Post by nicky »

Hi Edward
Try Marine Enterprises Dorchester for alternative gearboxes. He has a big stock of 71c and 72c though, and is keener on buying engines.
David

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Thanks for the replies.

David, I have sent you an email this evening.

Rob, please email me and I will get back to you.

I have also sent Marine Enterprises an email and my marine engineer is making enquiries with a few people in the trade too so hopefully I'll get something sorted out soon!

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by PeterCharleston »

Hi Edward
Omega looks a fine craft
I would also be interested in your gearboxes, Charleston is in need of a pair of BW 72C's !
Cheers Peter

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

The pair from Aruna will be no good for Charleston as they are 1:1.

Charleston needs 1.5:1 or 2:1 reduction, Swordsman have both, one is more favoured than the other but I can't remember which.

HoneyRush
Carpenter

Post by HoneyRush »

Hi Edward,

I sent you an e mail with my contact details

Rob

Phil62
Bosun

Post by Phil62 »

Hi Peter,

I personally wouldn't go buying gearboxes for Charleston until you know what engines you will be fitting.

I made the mistake of buying a pair of 72c's and then bought 2 new FPT 220's, I was advised on here (by Paul the Diesel Guru) that my new FPT engines were "torque monsters" and would eat the 72's for breakfast, also they rev to 2800 so a bit higher than the old Fords.

I ended up having a deal on a pair of brand new (old stock) ZF63's which are 1.2:1, so I just got smaller props (although they are a bit under pitched) but they are lovely as I now have handed props and she's a delight to chuck about in close quarters.

If you end up fitting Yanmars or Volvo's they rev much higher, and you'd need different ratios anyway.

Ended up selling the 72's on eBay.

P

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by PeterCharleston »

Many thanks Ben, good shout Phil thankyou. its looking likely a pair of Perkins M265Ti from Sean Brakstone at Marine Enterprises will head to Charlestons engine bay. id like to go to something quieter, less smokier and more modern but Sean has offered a cracking deal and the Charleston's budget is very very tight or should i say my wifes concerns !!
on another note my pal is feeling the need for some Fairey pain !!he has seen the Charleston trials and tribulations first hand and still wants a Fairey!! so if anybody spots a one that needs saving then please shout.

nicky
Captain

Post by nicky »

Having had the Perkins flat tops in my Huntsman I can confirm that they ARE quiet,
Smoke free, and efficient. I am sure others will confirm
Newer electronic common rail engines may be a bit better but their complexity and repair costs frighten some people.
David

Phil62
Bosun

Post by Phil62 »

Hi Peter,

As I am an idiot, I bought Cantie (Swordsman) blind on eBay a couple of months back and she now resides in a small yard here in Falmouth, I had blindly assumed she would be in a similar condition to mine (before the restoration) but she is far from it and requires serious time and effort (not unlike yours)

My current plan is to pick away slowly and video document the whole thing (as seems to be the way these days) and it should also drive internet traffic to another little venture I am about embark on.

That said, at this early point in time I would probably be prepared to move her on to another lost soul should there be one.

Point your friend in my direction if you like, we can certainly have a chat.