Omega 828 "Aruna"

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Edward

As I said in my email, I'd run the old Ford Dorsets for a bit and see what comes along.

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Hi Ben, yes you did, thank you for your emails. That’s probably very good advice and I might well go down that path. I just love the idea of something newer and more powerful; and having (approx) 450hp at my disposal rather than 360hp! Anyway, I’ll have to see on that front.

Mark – yes I can download it, thank you for the link. I went to Cobb’s Quay at the end of January to collect a very large triple axle boat trailer that Aruna is now sitting on. Whilst I was there I was admiring a splendid Fairey Spearfish sitting on the hard stand next to an equally lovely Triana Tantarella called Tanta. On looking around the Spearfish it turned out to be Hercules! You have done a fantastic job with her, she looks incredible.

nicky
Captain

Post by nicky »

There is an Omega 828 called Shikar with a dark blue hull and a larger windscreen. Both these improve the boats appearance in my view.
David

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Below is a link to a YouTube video, is this the level of smoke I could expect from the Dorset engines starting from cold?

Or would it be even worse?!

I think there is just a single engine running in the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycpZUcwReTI

robin3boats
Rear Admiral
Post by robin3boats »

looks normal for an old dorset
Depends how cold and how worn they are

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Lets just say when Mark Rhodes started the Fantome Myende in Port Solent the then Prime Minister convened the Cobra Committee and declared it a national emergency.

Stone cold and under no load that looks as I would expect, although I've seen worse. The thing to do is get absolutely ready, then fire up and get them in gear and moving right away. To some extent sitting in a marina with it running cold is showboating the smoke which is a bit silly.

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Thanks for the replies. Useful information when weighing up the pros and cons of potential replacement.

wsmempson
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by wsmempson »

There are lots of different opinions on this topic and so with the best will in the world, I reckon this currently falls into personal decision territory.

It happens to be the choice that faced me with a Huntsman 28 in 2014 - whether to continue with the dorset setup or re-engine. Given that the boat was in bits for the restoration, it seemed like the right moment to change for more modern units (in this case Cummins 6BTA's).

My feeling is that the environmental lobby will continue to gather momentum and the days of running motors that look on start up as if you are trying to elect a new Pope, are numbered.

I also think what has also changed since these motors were originally fitted to our boats is the advent of Marina's; 50 years ago, a lot of our boats were kept on swinging moorings, where you got on board, started the motors, and off you went. Today, you have to start up, pick your way out of a marina and, very often sit around waiting for a slot to exit the lock-gate. So the excessive smoking was less of a problem when the boats were built, than it is now.

It seems as if the Cummins bits will continue to be freely available for some time to come, largely as a result of their wholesale use in light industrial automotive applications, whereas Dorsets are now 50 year old machinery, and at some point the well of spares will run dry.

For sure, some of the cummins marinising bits are expensive bought direct from Cummins, but as the factories in China that supply the bits to Cummins also sell their wares direct on fleabay for a fraction of the price, some judicious research can pay dividends. Speaking to friends who run modern Volvo units, most of the parts prices for Volvo's seem much more expensive than Cummins, so you pays your money and takes your choice!

Personally, I don't regret the switch; perhaps if my boat had come with motors that were original to her racing days, I might have felt differently, but she didn't.

Good luck whichever route you go down.

nicky
Captain

Post by nicky »

The Cummins 6bt s are very simple well designed engines. Mine are or should be 260hp. There are issues though regarding the noise levels. The later common rail Qsb s
though are quiet. Out of overall choice I would have Qsb s at 380 Hp. They clearly fit in a Spearfish and I guess would fit in an Omega. Cost is the factor but they do come up
I have put extensive and thick sound deadening in, even on the hull sides. Hope I will be happy.
David

wsmempson
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by wsmempson »

The main source of noise from my Cummins comes from the exhaust! I don’t have the heart to fit silencers, as I rather like it - although after 6 or 7 hours gunning it, my ears ring somewhat in the silence. The engine bay sound deadening has been quite effective.

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

I know this might split opinion or not be to everyone's taste but what are the opinions of Yanmar/Yamaha 4.2 6 cylinder 240hp engines for Aruna?

nicky
Captain

Post by nicky »

The 6LPA. Looks very good on the net, on boat test dot com etc. Non electronic with some good features, but new ones I guess are not cheap. Can secondhand ones be found.
By the way can I come and see the boat. I am only in Totnes.
David

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

The 6 cylinder Yanmars are a lovely unit.
Powerful, beautifuly engineered and light.
They fetch strong money secondhand.

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Thanks for the replies, that might be the way to go. David, very happy for you to come and have a look. Send me an email and we will arrange.

EWV
Bosun

Post by EWV »

Engine update; I have purchased a pair of Yamaha ME422 engines for Aruna. 4.2 litre, 6 cylinder diesels, 243hp, a nice sound and seemingly a good reputation for reliability! The base engine is a Toyota unit as fitted to Land Cruiser 4x4's. They are used but run well and my marine engineer is very happy with them. They will be extensively serviced and repainted before they are fitted to the boat.

The Ford Mermaid Dorset's will be extracted from the boat and offered for sale in due course.