Screws for Charleston

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Screws for Charleston

Post by PeterCharleston »

Hi, Charleston is making positive progress and we now need screws !!
Timber has been coming from Robbins, fantastic service, excellent advice.
The glue has been sourced from Allansons, lots of discussions superb advice and service.
Now time for some screws, your advice's sought and as always very very gratefully received.
Oh and restoring a Fairey, what better reason do you need than that to get hold of some Wadkins woodworking machinery !!
Peter

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Good to hear you are making progress.

Brass - an alloy of copper and zinc, not to be used in under water applications, the zinc leaches out and the copper crumbles. Various compositions of the alloy, but mostly about 50 to 60% Copper.

Bronze - an alloy of Copper and tin, mostly around 90% copper and 10% tin, various other elements added for strength, machinability etc. You P backets, props, rudder blades and tubes are bronze and will last thousands of years in seawater.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that bronze, AS LONG AS IT IS NOT BONDED TO A DISSIMILAR METAL, does not need to be bonded to an anode.

Summary - If putting screws in the hull you want silicon bronze.

Phil62
Bosun

Post by Phil62 »

Definitely Silicon Bronze for fastenings.

Phil

Scott Pett
Rear Admiral

Post by Scott Pett »

Mirak's hull has been refastened with Silicon Bronze screws. Typically No. 14 in various lengths from 1-1/4" to 3"

The original screws were Phosphor Bronze - which is slightly harder - were generally in good condition apart from the slotted heads being somewhat knackered and the few bent ones (don't ask).

There used to be a great fixings supplier near Southampton, but sadly now retired, so a Google search to compare prices, which have shot up over the years due to the copper price soaring.

Seaware appears to be reasonable on price at the moment, (but your mileage may vary.) 79p to £2 per screw (plus VAT) depending on length seems about right and it won't take too long to achieve free delivery...

Cheers,
S

Ben
Admiral
Post by Ben »

Scott - you were lucky if Mirak had bronze screws underwater, on Playtime most of them were brass and crumbled to nothing. I doubt the boat builders at Fairey put much effort into keeping the brass and bronze apart, just a big bucket of mixed yellow screws to hand or whatever was on the floor or in their overalls pocket.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by PeterCharleston »

Hi Gents
First batch of Silicon Bronze Screws delivered, many thanks for your tips, had a timber delivery so added the screws, an eye watering experience. !
Internal laminating flying along , chine rails rebuilt and will be re-fitted now screws are here.
Engine bearer timber rebuild ongoing AND new cabin sides starting to be shaped !!!
Wadkin Planer purchased (its older than Charleston !!)
Wadkin Table slide saw being re-built (its older than Me !!)
Holding my breath but the Charleston that became the 33' canoe with a good dash of Colander is starting to look like a Fairey again.(slightly squinted Rose-Tints, but definitely a boat !)
Has anybody gone the hydraulic steering route or is that a Fairey no-no ??
Also not sure if i have asked before does anyone have a modern wiring diagram ? the Marine World seems a little electrically ambivalent, something i'm not used to in my Day job.
Its a shame posting pics is a bit tricky, I've put them into a cloud, shout if you want the link, happy to share.!!
i think i'll pop the Swim Platform on flea B, any ideas on what sort of money ?