Fairey Sound proofing

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Fairey Sound proofing

Post by PeterCharleston »

Hi, does anyone have any Marine sound proofing experience/knowledge ?
i am sure there was an advert or Fairey discussion but cant find it ! i guess we will need a different /thicker product in the engine bay than the cabins ?
Hey ssshhhss "Charleston's" paint has been delivered ! who'd have thought !!
Thankyou Vitesse

EWV
Bosun

Re: Fairey Sound proofing

Post by EWV »

There is a information about sound proofing on page 30 of the latest edition of Fairey News. This is written by David Johnson. From speaking to David about the work he has completed on his Spearfish I understand he has put a lot of effort into researching and fitting appropriate sound proofing. I'll certainly have a chat with him when it comes to sound proofing Aruna!

Firefly
Lieutenant

Post by Firefly »

There are two David Johnson s rather confusingly. I think it's a common name. I am the one with the Spearfish and the other one is at Halyard and has/had a Tantarella.
David, from Devon.

DIJohnson
Rigger

Post by DIJohnson »

Hello Peter,
I am the David Johnson who wrote the article and as well as being the Sales Director at Halyard have owned a Huntsman, a Swordsman and rebuilt Super Swordsman Doctor Syn so feel free to give me a call if you need some advice - 07880-031582.
I think we may have met as I sold a set of Super Swordsman windows to someone rebuilding a Swordsman a few years ago which I think was Charleston.

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Post by PeterCharleston »

My Advanced years have clearly advanced a little further than i thought.!!
But what a great opportunity to run through the previous Fairey News Issues , wow how the magazine has changed over the years.
David this is superb news, i'll give you a buzz and perhaps i could pop down and meet up ?
i'd like to spec up and install the engine room insulation first, we haven't re-installed the fuel tanks yet , but all the internal paint is complete throughout.
The plan is to start the external primer and undercoats next week, put Charleston back onto her shipping frame , the engines will be with us shortly, but gearboxes are still to be sorted !
Then with primers and undercoats complete and Charleston securely back on her cradle we can start to tackle the engine install.
Regards Peter

Jonathan Napier
Midshipman

Post by Jonathan Napier »

I’ve just taken advantage of David Johnson’s generous pricing deals and expertise on my current project with an agreement for full exhaust system and all soundproofing. It has been a revelation in terms of technical knowledge and back up. We started with an initial consultation on the boat with options and decisions made. Technical drawings arrived and were confirmed. There were 2 trial fit visits by the engineers. The culmination was David himself(Halyard’s Sales Director no less!)upside down in my bilges fitting a recalcitrant exhaust hose clamp which I had had difficulty with previously.
On previous projects I had always used alternative suppliers due to perceived pricing benefits but, in fact, this whole input has been extremely competitive and with a lot less finger sucking guesswork.
I can recommend talking to David if you’re in need.
All the best Jonathan

Ben
Admiral

Post by Ben »

Jonathan. Are you having silencers?

Jonathan Napier
Midshipman

The size of dustbins!

Ben
Admiral

Post by Ben »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What size exhausts? 6"?

Jonathan Napier
Midshipman

8” at the transom. Silencers are 1.4m long and nearly half a metre across. We’ll be ‘stealthy’

Ben
Admiral

Post by Ben »

You might find whales swim up the exhaust and get stuck.