The build list of boats and photo gallery

Post General discussion topics here.

This forum is openly readable by anyone, whether a member of the Fairey Owners Club or not.

The statements and opinions published on this forum are those of the Author and not necessarily those of the Fairey Owners' Club Committee
Firefly
Lieutenant

The build list of boats and photo gallery

Post by Firefly »

These are an important resource for those interested in Fairey boats and very useful for potential purchasers.
Their existence assisted those who contemplated the purchase of a Fairey and could from them see some history. The loss of this resource does not help the Fairey powerboat cause.
Apologies if I have missed their reappearance, if not when will they reappear.

Midnight Blue
Commodore

Re: The build list of boats and photo gallery

Post by Midnight Blue »

Hi David
Having got the new website up and running, and I hope you agree its a significant improvement, there are a number of aspects that we are working on that I believe will be an asset to the club and the forum.
But these take an inordinate time to complete , so please bear with us. I cannot tell you how much energy and time was spent getting the website live.
I will now reiterate something that you will have heard me and the committee say many times before. The committee have day jobs and family and contribute on the committee as a labour of love-we constantly seek assistance from members. If you, or any other member can help, do let one of us know. There are several tasks, the two you mention being key, looking for an owner!
Can I sign you up?
Kind regards
Paul

Firefly
Lieutenant

Post by Firefly »

This matter I guess needs somebody with It knowledge, which I have not got.
Surely it can not be that difficult as the info exists.
The website now is of course not as good as it was as the above set of carefully collected records are missing.
They were the best bits.

Folly Reach
Captain

Post by Folly Reach »

Clearly the Commodores carefully worded response went straight over the correspondents head.
Here we are.. . about to head into the deepest recession possibly in living memory and therefore people might just have more important things to do than volunteer valuable time and effort into the continued revamping of the website.

Firefly
Lieutenant

Post by Firefly »

As I should have guessed any complaint gets short shrift and sadly no support. Does nobody else miss these features and wonder when they will come back. A lot of owners are retired and have plenty of time and It skills
Ever thought of paying somebody to do it.
Recession has nothing to do with this minor matter. If it was possible in first place it is possible now.
Alright give me what you have got and I will get it done and pay for it myself if needs must.

Scott Pett
Rear Admiral

Post by Scott Pett »

At the risk of upsetting one faction, whilst trying to placate another:

The Fairey Marine Production Archives are still available here:-
https://sites.google.com/site/scottpett ... on-Archive
Sadly, woefully out of date due to other more important things to get on with.

There is a newer version which was automatically converted when Google decided to end-of-life the old Google Sites setup and that is here:-
https://sites.google.com/view/fm-hull-p ... on-Archive
This is less out of date, but you'll see that the original table formatting did not convert very well.

The old FOC website simply linked to the original Google site. This link was not imported to the new site as it was felt the club needed more control over what Google may or not decided to provide/change at short notice. However due to time and cost restraints, the Production and Photos sites were not included in the migration and are still on the To Do List.

Please feel free to bookmark the links above for reference if you so desire.

There may be some concerns around privacy these days, as the site links owners names and boat location. But over the years I have received only one take-down notice, which was complied with.

As to the IT skills needed to produce the above sites - they are the same as those used to log into a website, write, format and submit a Forum note complaining that one does not have the IT skills necessary to maintain the site. More complex skills are required to purchase goods and services online!

So, any of you who have purchased stuff online, created a spreadsheet, email or Word document are more than qualified to maintain the site going forward - please form an orderly queue. Wristbands will be supplied.
Regards,
Scott
Huntsman 31 No. 5 "Mirak"

Firefly
Lieutenant

Post by Firefly »

Hi Scott
A positive and informed response to a reasonable question. Can you contact me to give me the lowdown
My usual email address.
Thanks David