Replacement Cockpit Screens

Post General discussion topics here.

This forum is openly readable by anyone, whether a member of the Fairey Owners Club or not.

The statements and opinions published on this forum are those of the Author and not necessarily those of the Fairey Owners' Club Committee
Jonathan Langham
Rigger

Replacement Cockpit Screens

Post by Jonathan Langham »

From previous posts it seems Precision Plastics in Poole are the go to solution. Are there any tips and pit falls that i should be mindful of. I am assuming the old ones should be a good template for new ones with a bit of TLC to the wooden frames before re fitting, perhaps clamp them after taking the windows out so the keep to a shape.

Also thinking or replacing the cabin windows, we still have a frustrating leak despite them being re-bedded last season. I think i have glass in alum frames. Is it better to bond plastic ones on the inside and screw in from the outside?

Regards

PeterCharleston
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Replacement Cockpit Screens

Post by PeterCharleston »

Hi Jonathan, Precision are a fantastic outfit, just have a chat with them, they are very accommodating. Charleston was rotten around the window apertures, sealing the aperture 100% prior to re-fitting the windows is essential. I have had all the window rubbers replaced by Seaglaze near Maidstone . With the windows fixed in place the glass is under extreme pressure due to the curve and I would think this is a point of failure in the seals ?

tjsb
Lieutenant

Post by tjsb »

I replaced my cabin windows with the type that bolt from the inside. The bonus of this type is a significant reduction in the number of holes and therefore potential for water ingress. I fitted them myself (so suitable for non professionals) and have been delighted with them as the cabin is now dry. I too got mine from Seaglaze. Good luck
Toby

Jonathan Langham
Rigger

Thanks for the link to Seaglaze, did you go for an alum finish from them or did you use another supplier for the external frames. I have seen a few boats with polished stainless steel. The idea of getting stainless with clamp on windows (ie no screw holes) sounds very appealing but potentially unobtainable. Any views?

tjsb
Lieutenant

Post by tjsb »

Dear Jonathan,

mine are clamped and I am really pleased - watertight for the first time probably ever. They are coated ally. I don't know if stainless was available - I suspect if it was it was much more expensive. Definitely get the whole package (frames and glazing) from one company to avoid inter company mistakes. You will want to enquire about templates - some companies make their own, others get you to provide them. If that is the case, using the old ones as templates is best. I did that and then temporarily screwed wood in the holes and covered with plastic sheeting while the windows were away. Shout if you need more info.

Toby

Jonathan Langham
Rigger

Looks like Seagalze are the way forward. I spoke to Trend who do superyachts in Norfolk as they used to do them but they now recommend Seaglaze. And having looked at some photos it looks like alum was the original spec so perhaps the sensible way forward rather than the temptation of improve on the original. Thanks