Aluminium screens

Post General discussion topics here.

This forum is openly readable by anyone, whether a member of the Fairey Owners Club or not.

The statements and opinions published on this forum are those of the Author and not necessarily those of the Fairey Owners' Club Committee
Frank
Midshipman

Aluminium screens

Post by Frank »

Bit of advice needed..
I’m going to be painting the aluminium screen on Hummingbird in the next month or so. Will be sanding, filling and repairing the old aluminium then finish in a silver/aluminium paint. Does anyone have any recommendations on best paint and procedure. I’m not taking the screen off will be doing it in situ. I’ve been testing out Owatrol aluminium paint on sample pieces, not 100% sure !!!

tjsb
Lieutenant
Re: Aluminium screens

Post by tjsb »

Having done this myself. I would recommend taking the screen off as it will enable a much better job and enable you to get paint behind all the screws. When reassembling, duralac will prevent differential metal corrosion, but take care as it is easy to get it everywhere - perhaps even practice.

IanW
Rigger

Re: Aluminium screens

Post by IanW »

I can't add much to the discussion other than my findings when I had a similar exercise years ago.
Assuming you may decide to fully refurbish the frames and they are anodised alloy as opposed to aluminium, they cannot be re-anodised for technical reasons. I also recall for good results on alloy an etch primer is normally applied before a painting process.
If piting corrosion is evident some finishing applications may or may not help to hide the issue.
In the end I was pleased with the epoxy powder coating process which has fared well over the years particularly from abrasion and colour retention. A consistent finish was also pleasing, but like all processes, preparation is the key!