300hp Cummins 6bta rebuild

This is where Fairey "Projects" can be be announced and progress monitored.

Don't forget to write up some notes for the Fairey News.


Post Reply
wsmempson
Sub-Lieutenant
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

300hp Cummins 6bta rebuild

Post by wsmempson »

So I get bored easily and whilst looking for a suitable boat decided to see if I could build up a pair of decent motors. A chance browse of flea-bay threw up a chap selling two cummins in bits, that he had hoped to rebuild, before running out of time, money and mojo. The thing that sealed it for me was that they came with all the marinising gear, which looked ok. I farmed out the testing of the marinising gear and the overhaul of the fuel metering units to professionals. but the rest of the rebuild was my work. Both seem to run nicely - now for a boat to put them in!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JI8GpV3gZDI
Last edited by wsmempson on Wed Aug 12, 2026 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjsb
Lieutenant
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:02 pm
Location:

Re: 300hp Cummins 6bta rebuild

Post by tjsb »

That is a thing of beauty, well done. I am told the 72c can be adjusted to take the power. Good luck with the boat.

Folly Reach
Captain
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:03 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: 300hp Cummins 6bta rebuild

Post by Folly Reach »

That's a great looking bit of kit.
Fair play to you...

Well done.

wsmempson
Sub-Lieutenant
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: 300hp Cummins 6bta rebuild

Post by wsmempson »

Yes, both 72c gearboxes have been modified to take the extra power, so I’m really looking forward to trying them out in a boat.

Post Reply